Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Supporting the troops?

How often is it that we see signs saying “SUPPORT THE TROOPS. END THE WAR!” Truly, I tell you these signs make me want to punch someone. A close friend of mine, a sergeant in the Marine Corps just got back from serving in Iraq. He missed his wife and extended family while over there but he was proud to be serving our glorious nation. He was in the same room as our president as he gave a speech to the world about how our mission has met great success in Al Anbar province of Iraq and that success is spreading to the whole nation. He told of how Iraqis are rejecting the terrorists. My Marine friend was excited about the speech. He was abundantly happy that America finally heard the truth about his mission.

Sadly, no one heard that message, because it was played during the day, without anyone from the liberal media really commenting on it. Fox News talked about that but people who watch Fox are ridiculed by everyone else. The story got nowhere, and people feel that we are losing Iraq despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. When I informed the Marine of this it deeply saddened him. Sergeant S. strongly supports our mission in Iraq along with every other Marine I have ever met.

As I walked with another Marine, Lance Corporal V., we saw a sign declaring that we must leave Iraq and together we flipped off the sign in great anger for we believe in our mission. I was honoured to take a stand on the war alongside a Marine, even though no one saw us. That very Marine in now serving in Iraq and I just read her blog about her fellow Marine who has died. After discussing the sadness of his death, these are her words “I pray his family does not think he died in vain”

I know another Marine, Lance Corporal B. who is infantry. When he goes to Iraq, he may very well die. Knowing this, he does not back down in his support of our mission. Even with his brother who is also a Lance Corporal in the infantry serving in Iraq currently, he does not wish for him to be sent home, despite the fact that his brother could die any day. Does he not care for his brother? On the contrary I have seen his weep over his brother. But he knows two things. 1) there is very little chance either he or his brother will die. Very few American warriors have died in the big scheme of things. And 2) if he does die then his death will not be in vain, for it will have supported our liberty and the liberty of the free peoples everywhere.

I tell you truly that to tell us that supporting the troops means ending the mission is a slap in the face to all four of these very brave men. As to the Marines who don’t support our mission, I have yet to meet any. Don’t tell us what the troops believe, let them speak for themselves!

SUPPORT THE TROOPS! SUPPORT OUR MISSION!

4 comments:

Derek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Derek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy said...

I the mother of a son who recently returned form Iraq, and the mother-in- law to a son-in-law who will return from Iraq in a few weeks....and who's twin brother presently is in the Battle Creek VA hospital due to his time in Iraq..woulds, PTSD and probably TBI...........and I ask you

Help me understand why those signs are offensive. I really don't know.

I want this war done.......I want peace somehow, someway..........

i want my son's (who spent his birthday loading caskets of two of his buddies onto a plane)heart to not have been so wounded by the inhumane things he experienced over there.

I want my SIL to come home and be able to live a fruitful life, regardless of the two visit she's made to Iraq and all he's been through there. I want my SIL's twin (whom I adore0 to be ok....just ok, and he likely will never be ok.

This mother's heart doesn't want any other mother's to feel the ache I've felt..............even the Iraqi mothers' of course.

I want us, the U.S. to not be so egotistical that we think we can go into another ocuntry under the guise that we did thusly, and assist in stirring up so much pain and death.............and yet I admit, I know second hand.......a LOT of good is being done.

But why do we ignore Darfur? We said 'never again' after the Holocaust, and we allow blindly.........all that is happening in Darfur.

Darfur doesn't have any oil. ........or we'd be there helping, stopping this travesty toward humanity.

It's all so heart breakingly sad. A life so short, and so much pain for so many.. and the richest nation in the world making decisions the way we are...it really is sad.

For the record, I love and adore and respect tremendously, the troops, each and every one..and their families, because they all in one way or another are going through, or have gone through... ....hell.

Just visit the Psych ward at any VA hospital...or any ward for that matter...

Sincerely,

Nancy

Corwin said...

well there's a lot in that comment to respond to, but I'll try

First of all, I sympathize with you as much as I can without being in the same situation. My brother is a Marine who served in Iraq, though he never buried any of his friends.

My response to the evils of war is simply that war is an evil thing, to be avoided whenever possible. War is not to be taken lightly as many families are destroyed by it. Many lives are ended far too early. Even those that don't die are often traumatized and sometimes never recover.

That said, I strongly believe that we need to be in Iraq. Saddaam was a threat to us as far as we knew. All our intelligence couldn't account for the weapons he had at one point, and indeed we still don't know where they went. Had Sadaam accounted for the weapons instead of mocking us, we may not have had to enter this war.

Right now, we've lost many lives, but if we leave Iraq right now, we will ensure that it is far more dangerous than it was under it's previous tyrant. Most of Iraq is at peace, but not enough for us to abandon it. I trust our generals who's lives are dedicated to understanding war. General Patraeus is the one who brought peace to most of Iraq and I trust him to bring peace everywhere in that nation.

If we simply leave, the terrorists win and everything your sons have suffered will be for nothing. It will be a waste. Only by staying can we bring meaning to what your sons have suffered.

I strongly believe that victory is in reach. I believe that we can bring peace to Iraq because the Iraqis want it.

As for oil and Darfur, I have a response to that as well, but I have no time at the moment. I only want to thank you for what you've done for our country, for the families of our warriors make sacrafices too.